Saturday, October 6, 2012

New hot water service and busy bees

On 4/10/2012 I put the third box back on my bee hive, having been reduced to two boxes over winter.  It is full to the brim. The queen has been laying eggs in the extra comb built on top of the second box frames and in the lid.  This picture shows the comb I scraped off the top frames, so I could put the third box on. You can see the grubs in the comb.

After 20 years of service, my 135 lt gas hot water tank blew a hole.  This happens after a time.  It's an opportunity to go to a gas boosted solar hot water service.  I compared the flat panel with evacuated solar tube systems, and got three quotes. I decided on the evacuated tubes because over a year it is more efficient.  It took about 10 days to research, get quote and have it installed, ie 10 days of cold showers.  Good for my resilience.

No comments:

Post a Comment